RE: Locally Managed Tablespace Survey

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:20:12 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,

Thanks for the link and I did check it out. It talks about how to "force" SMON to clean up a temp segment left over by an aborted transaction, by faking a change to the TEMP tablespace's default storage clause. It also talks about how SMON will drop the temp segment on wake up after 2 hours.

My point is that, the temp segment really does not get dropped after 2 hours even after SMON wakes up, at least I have not seen it do that. I have gone days waiting for this to occur, but in vain.

In everything that I have seen and tested, the temp segment gets dropped only on instance shutdown. Again, my tested versions were 8.0.5.X on various platforms. If you do find evidence that does suggest that the temp segment does gets dropped, please be kind enough to drop a line, as I would like to learn the "circumstances" under which that occurred. I will be one heck surprised if that in fact occurs, as it will go directly against some of the "fundamental rationale" for "true temporary" tablespaces. Thank you for taking the time to research this and sharing the knowledge.

Best Regards,

Gaja.

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha | gajav_at_yahoo.com Brio Technology | (972)-304-1170

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Brio Technology"