RE: Best Extent Size for Locally Managed Temporary Tablespaces

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:27:35 -0700

Thanks for the primer on locally managed tablespaces, but all that having been said, I'm looking for tuning ideas.

I'm thinking of uniform extents. It would be good to develop some sort performance benchmarks. We could test a few permutations of dictionary managed vs various size permutations of uniform local vs system-managed in relation to permutations of SORT_AREA_SIZE and sort_area_retained_size. Any other ideas? Any white papers?

We could rank the results. It could be "a sorted affair." :-)

Steve Orr
Maybe I'll work on this before someone beats me to it and win a free trip to Disney.