RE: Moving Datafiles

From: <dmeng_at_focal.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:57:01 -0500

First , step 3 of should be 'COPY ...' not 'MOVE', or Oracle will not recognize the moved file.
Second, I disagree with Singh. I think 'rename' is the preferred method here obviously because
this can be done on the tablespace level ( system tablespace is an exception here) which means
other parts of the database can be up during the operation. Recreating control file is a potentially
dangerous thing to do and database downtime is mandatory in that case.

Dennis Meng
Database Administrator
Focal Communications
847-954-8328

                    Singh
                    Gunmeet-G1498        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    7                    <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <G.Singh_at_moto        cc:
                    rola.com>            Subject:     RE: Moving Datafiles
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    06/16/00
                    08:39 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

An easier way is to bypass the alter database rename step alltogether. This can be done by backing up the control file to trace. Make sure you shutdown the database using shutdown normal ( May need to shutdown immediate, startup and then shutdown normal) edit the control file script and modify the paths to the datafiles ( You can
also rename the datafiles if needed )
----Database name/SID also be changed at this point. Startup nomount
create new control files using the script. alter database open ( need to give resetlogs if database name has been changed. )

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: paled_at_home.com

Author: Singh Gunmeet-G14987
  INET: G.Singh_at_motorola.com