RE: Locally Managed Tablespace Survey

From: <dmeng_at_focal.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:48:50 -0500

LMT is an 8i new feature and I learned it mostly from Oracle docs and the 8i new features training class from Oracle. But before folks jump onto the band wagon here, I would like to point out that use of LMT will invalidate space scripts that uses SYS.FET$ and SYS.UET$. Also performance wise significant benefits can only be seen on databases that do a lot of allocation and deallocation of space, things like dropping and creating tables. These a lot of times can be better resolved with application tuning.

Just my $0.02

Dennis Meng
Database Administrator
Focal Communications
847-954-8328

                    Steven Monaghan
                    <Steve.Monaghan        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    @wcom.com>             <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:               cc:
                    root_at_fatcity.co        Subject:     RE: Locally Managed Tablespace
                    m                      Survey

                    06/16/00 02:47
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Lately, the list has been filled with talk of 'locally managed tablespaces'.
Does anyone have any links to sites that will tell me what they are and what
they do? I am assuming they are new to either 8 or 8i, since we are still on 7.3.2 (for a few more weeks anyway!) and I haven't heard of them.

TIA,
Steve Monaghan
Worldcom
Long Island, NY, USA