ORA-4031 Error

From: <pschauss_at_parker.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:12:12 -0700

One of our application processes got the following error:

 ORA-04031: unable to allocate 4216 bytes of shared memory ("shared pool","unknown object","sga heap","library cache")

The Error Messages manual says that the cure it either to use dbms_shared_pool package to pin large packages into memory, reduce use of shared memory, or increase the value of the SHARED_POOL_SIZE parameter.

If we opt for the latter, how do we know how much larger to make it?

Is there some system table or view which will tell give us a high water mark on use of shared pool so we can tell how much room we've got once we increase this parameter?

The code which caused the error was a SET TRANSACTION READ ONLY statement in PRO*C. How was this putting us over the limit on our shared pool usage?

thanks,
Peter Schauss
Parker Hannifin Corp Received on Thu Jun 15 2000 - 12:12:12 CDT