Re:RE: Would you allow this?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:29:20 -0400

We have had a number of tool vendors over the years who want to demo their nifty new thing-a-ma-jig for some interested end users on our production database with the notion that querying data has "no ill effects". BULL S%$#!!! The biggest problem I'm constantly fighting is not the insert or update or delete statement that runs off into never-never land, but the GOD awful query that brings the entire system to it's knees. Therefore, if they want a play area with a limited dataset on a separate server, OK give me a day or two's heads-up. Otherwise, Get the H*&^ out of here. And thankfully I've upper management's agreement on that too.

Subject: RE: Would you allow this?
Author: Christine Turner <Christine.Turner_at_IPS-Sendero.com> Date: 6/15/00 7:09 AM

My understanding was that Cognos could only "select" from the database, nothing else. Ran into the same situation when I used to work for the State of Arizona. We set up a "temporary" database with some data that came from production. Basically just an export to import kind of thing.  Oh, to settle your ideas about "bad" sql. Yes, they are notorious for sending off sql that is in dyer need of being tuned. Again, just my experience.

Take Care,
Christine Turner
Database Administrator
IPS-Sendero
Scottsdale, Arizona
Phone: (800) 321-6899 ext. 3286
Fax: (480) 946-8224
E-mail: christine.turner_at_ips-sendero.com

Author: Allin, Sean
  INET: sallin_at_trimarine-usa.com

Author: William Beilstein
  INET: BeilstWH_at_obg.com

Author: Christine Turner
  INET: Christine.Turner_at_IPS-Sendero.com

  INET: Lisa_Koivu_at_gelco.com

Author: Christine Turner
  INET: Christine.Turner_at_IPS-Sendero.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L Received on Thu Jun 15 2000 - 09:29:20 CDT