RE: Waiting for smon to disable tx recovery.

From: Khushalani, Vikram <vkhushalani_at_grci.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:46:35 -0400

A number of things you could look at including Temporary Tablespace since this is often due to Temporary Tablespace issues also -

  1. Make sure no users are assigned the SYSTEM table space for Temporary table space usage
  2. Look at your SGA size - try to limit it to be not greater than 30%-50% of your real memory (opinion on this varies)
  3. Try the following order (assuming the you are able to shutdown with 'Shutdown abort):
    1. Shutdown abort
    2. Startup Restrict
    3. Shutdown immediate
    4. Do our backups f . Startup

(Just a side note - I have often read that a 'shutdown normal' is best before a backup - so that is what we do)

4) If you have the Oracle Intelligent Agent, any other process, or monitoring tool running then close that process before your attempted shutdown.

Please post the success/failure of all this.

Vikram Khushalani
Oracle DBA