How to check the status of a sql script

From: David Lee <dba_lee_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:05:13 CDT

Hi all,
I am writing a shell script to do hot backups. I have a sql script embedded in it saying ' alter tablespace ... begin backup' stuff. Now I want to put something in my shell script so that if the sql script fails, the hot backups are cancelled and tablespaces are taken out of hot backup mode. But the thing is, How do I see the exit status of the sql script?

TIA David