Re: Oracle on Linux Anyone?

From: Eric D. Pierce <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:13:35 -0700

Date sent:      	Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:54:18 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <>
Send reply to:
From:           	guy ruth hammond <>
Subject:        	Re: Oracle on Linux Anyone?

> > excerpt: Support was another factor in
> > choosing Linux, Google said. The
> > company has Linux expertise
> > in-house, and values the ability to
> > look at the source code to correct
> > problems, rather than having to
> > rely on a vendor.
> This is often touted as an advantage of Linux, but it doesn't stand
> up to real world operations.

Isn't having one of the most popular search engines running on *4000* servers "real world"?

It seemed to me that the article is fairly explicit in stating that google's OS adventures are oriented toward having strong "in house" R&D.

They never said that it was an example of a good platform for "traditional" database applications purchased/supported from outside.

the whole article is at:

(linked from: )

The following article identifies google's lead network engineer as a former ***research neurosurgeon*** at Stanford U.:

I guess if you are used to doing brain surgery, taking apart an operating system and putting it back together on thousands of machines isn't that big of a deal!

Some general background info on the "state of the art" in search technology: -

Google authors' academic paper (links to .pdf file, etc):

HTML version: -
graphical overview of google archtecture:

Unfortunately, none of the info at the above sites directly addresses the issue you raise, sorry.

>For a start, we are DBAs and consultants -
> we are not paid to debug operating systems

Excellent point, in spite of the breathless dot-com culture, sites need to be prudent in analysing their support requirements.

However, there may be sites out there that can afford to be more adventurous and/or R&D oriented than those in the dominant/mainstream business & data processing mode.

On a practical level, and this is probably more pertinent to network/sysadmn types than DBA's (sorry), one of the articles I read recently on the "OS wars" stated that there is a growing trend for sysadmns LIE to dammitment, and setup cheap hidden Linux boxes to handle stuff (IP utilities, email servers/gateways, etc) that they Received on Thu Jun 15 2000 - 15:13:35 CDT

Original text of this message