Re: SQL*Loader question

From: S. Anthony Sequeira <Sequeira_at_lineone.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:28:54 +0100

> Jay
>
> Here are reasons why indexes could become unusable according to Oracle
> Utility Doc
>
> 1 SQL*Loader runs out of space for the index, and cannot update the
>
> 2 The data is not in the order specified by the SORTED INDEXES clause.
[snip]
> I could not understand second point. What does it mean????
>
> TIA
> $ameer

    From the 8.0.5 Utilities manual:

SORTED INDEXES Statement
The SORTED INDEXES statement identifies the indexes on which the data is presorted. This statement is allowed only for direct path loads. See Chapter 5, "SQL*Loader Control File Reference" for the syntax, and see"Case 6: Loading Using the Direct Path Load Method" on page 4-24 for an example.

Generally, you specify only one index in the SORTED INDEXES statement because data that is sorted for one index is not usually in the right order for another index. When the data is in the same order for multiple indexes, however, all of the indexes can be specified at once.

All indexes listed in the SORTED INDEXES statement must be created before you start the direct path load.

Unsorted Data
If you specify an index in the SORTED INDEXES statement, and the data is not sorted for that index, then the index is left in Index Unusable state at the end of the load. The data is present, but any attempt to use the index results in an error. Any index which is left in Index Unusable state must be re-built after the load.

    HTH.     Regards.

Tony

--
S. Anthony Sequeira

Wait for the ricochet

Opinions expressed herein are my own and do