SUMMARY : Event to disable SMON from freeing TEMP

From: Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:45:57 -0500

   What I observed as SMON holding the ST enqueue is wrong. When SMON is cleaning TEMP, it does not service any 'sort segment requests' and that's what I observed. I did some testing and obtained some interesting results.

Workarounds

  1. Alter the TEMPORARY tablespace for all users to another PERMANENT tablespace. Sorts using the PERMANENT temporary tablespace do get blocked.
  2. Alter the TEMPORARY temp tablespace to PERMANENT and shutdown abort the database. On startup, sorts using the temp tablespace get processed as usual.

Thanks,
Denny

--
Denny Koovakattu