RE: Off Topic -- Replies Seen Before Original Message

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:20:57 -0700

dt: 6/14/2000 2:23 pm PDT (-0800: west coast n. america)
to: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
cc: geeta.iyer_at_sprintparanet.com

One fairly simple possibility is that some of the responses were addressed to individuals as well as the list, and that caused an appearance of shortcuts in responses to responses.

This message will test to see if the individual "cc" address shows up in the headers of a message distributed through the list server.

Also, some email list server software "batches" addresses of large lists into groups. This might introduce some weird latency effects, especially if there is contention of the server, and something gets backgrounded.

There might be some internet latency (eg, tracert), but I don't think that would account for differences of hours!

regards,
ep