RE: NLS_CHARACTERSET not being recognized?? help!

From: Geeta Iyer <geeta.iyer_at_sprintparanet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:36:14 -0600

SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 1000000;
DECLARE
i NUMBER DEFAULT 150;
buffer VARCHAR2(100) DEFAULT NULL;
BEGIN
WHILE i <= 255 LOOP
buffer := buffer ||TO_CHAR(i)||'='||chr(i)||' '; IF LENGTH(buffer) > 79 THEN

   dbms_output.put_line(buffer);
   buffer := '';
END IF;
i := i + 1;
END LOOP;
IF LENGTH(buffer) > 0 THEN

   dbms_output.put_line(buffer);
END IF;
END;
/

The above was a small script posted earlier to check for ASCII characters above 150
Does your .profile have a diff NLS_LANG ? Try echoing your NLS_LANG..
I have learnt that if the database is created with e.g. WE8ISO8859P1, and the Unix user doing the export doesn’t have NLS_LANG set, I believe the default will be US7ASCII.

HTH Geeta Iyer
Sprint Enterprise Network Services
Work: (303)220-4788
Pager: 800-724-3508