Re: Redo logs on mirrored disks

From: Jim Conboy <Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 05:41:40 -0700

Chris-

I admire your bravery. Not once in my life have I had someone accidently = delete a redo log but I multiplex them religiously anyway.

Jim

>>> Chris_at_Royce.net 06/12/00 07:16PM >>>
I DO NOT multi-plex my redo logs BUT I have my entire production databases = on
RAID 0+1 mirrored/striped detests. I had a nearly non recoverable = situation
awhile back when I lost half a mirror on a duplexed redo log. I got into = one of
those infuriating 'loops' while trying to drop a logfile 'member' which = had the
missing 'half': cannot drop it because it doesn't exist, cannot use it = because
it was missing etc. etc. Through a lot of experimenting and stressful = gyrations
we were eventually able to trick the system into thinking it was a whole = entity
and was able to 'drop' the logfile. I actually do not remember what I = finally
did to get around it - must have repressed a potential data loss situation = on a
production instance. I had another oddball situation that caused a = performance
hit. Unbeknownst to me, half of my mirrored redo logs were on a different controller and disk farm which was slightly older/slower. Everything ran = fine
until we started generating significantly more redo. Seems that because of unequal latency, every (approx.) 4 minutes it became necessary for the = archiver
to catch up causing system interrupts and slowdowns. Took us weeks with = software
and hardware people to identify the situation. Simple when you find out. = Anyway
I eventually dropped the duplexed redos and the performance issue = disappeared.
Then we discovered the hardware discrepancy.

Just my opinion. I now have 8 single set redo logs spread over 4 spindles = of 250
MBytes each. I have had no problems and have not encountered any log = switch
contingencies.

Thnx

Chris Royce
Snr DBA
Jamestown NC

Norwood Bradly A wrote:

> Robyn:
>
> Have not yet read that tip from Steve Adams, but I value his opinions =
very
> highly.
>
> However, Oracle seems to go with multiplexing as shown by their caveat
> regarding o/s or hardware corruption:
>
> In my shop, we do both mirroring and multiplexing
>
> Multiplexing Online Redo Log Files
> Oracle provides the capability to multiplex an instance's online redo =
log
> files to safeguard against damage.
> You can also mirror your redo logs at the O/S level, but in so doing you =
run
> the risk of O/S or hardware induced corruption. In most cases, multiplexi=
ng
> of online logs is best.

--=20
Author: Chris Royce
  INET: Chris_at_Royce.net=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Tue Jun 13 2000 - 07:41:40 CDT