RE: Off topic - Unix Question

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 07:47:42 -0700 (PDT)

Oracle running as root?

Cool! You can write an external procedure in C, and do anything you want on the system, as the external process will be running as root. ;)

Jared

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Ruiz, Mary A (CAP, CDI) wrote:

> Carlos:
>
> The owner of the directory in /proc is the unix account who started up the
> database.
> Oracle processes are owned by the unix account who owns the oracle
> executable files, in your
> case oracle. It looks like root is in the dba group, which it would need to
> be in order to
> start up the database. Now if that is a good idea, I am not so certain.
>
> Mary Ruiz
> Atlanta GA

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Tue Jun 13 2000 - 09:47:42 CDT