Re:ORACLE NAME SERVER

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:12:28 -0400

Pallav,

    The best definition of what an Oracle Name Server is that I've heard is that "it is the equivalent of DNS, but in the database environment". In short, you store everything that you would have put into the TNSNAMES.ora files into Names and then remove all of the TNSNAMES files. The Oracle Net8 manual is the best resource for installing, setting up and maintaining the Names server(s). The NET8 configuration tool will also set up listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and I believe cman.ora files as well. I recommend having at least two servers per site for automatic fail over, if you have the hardware. We've been using it for about two years now. With PeopleSoft, it has made adding additional databases (their def) pathetically easy.

Dick Goulet

BTW: If you can spring for an Oracle class, they have a networking class that goes through the whole thing, soup to nuts.

Subject: ORACLE NAME SERVER
Author: Pallav Kalva <pallav_at_starmedia.net> Date: 6/12/00 10:03 AM

Hi Guys,

   What is Oracle Names Server ???? Is anybody using it ??? if so, could you let me know what is it used for. can you direct me to any good documentation sites on this.

Thanks!
Pallav

Author: Pallav Kalva
  INET: pallav_at_starmedia.net