RE: TEMP tablespace size in a Data Warehouse

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:14:24 -0700 (PDT)

Alex,

You raise a valid point on the history and behavior of the "analyze...estimate statistics;" and I think this needs to be clarified. Yes, prior to 7.3.0 the estimate sampled only the first "x%" of the table, where x is the percentage specified in the command or 1064 rows or whatever(when no sample size is given).

I think in and about version 7.3.3, this behavior changed and in my understanding the process of estimation does what I term as "sequential randomized estimation". In this process, the estimation of statistics is done by sampling the x% from a chunk of read worth - db_file_multiblock_read_count.

Which means, effectively the estimate worked just like a full table scan where all the blocks were read, but the sampling and calculation of statistics was done on the sample size, on a chunk-by-chunk basis. In Oracle 8i, we finally have "true randomized estimation". Thanks for bringing up this point.

Cheers,

Gaja.

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha   | 3460 West Bayshore Road,
Manager - Integration      | Palo Alto, CA 94303
& Consulting Services      | gaja_at_brio.com
Global Alliances           | (650)-565-4442
Brio Technology            | www.brio.com

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Brio Technology" Received on Tue Jun 13 2000 - 12:14:24 CDT