Data Base running too fast ???

From: Chris Royce <Chris_at_Royce.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:25:18 -0400

Anyone had problems with a database running too fast. It was a first for me. I recently, upon gaining additional disk and memory, was able to re-archetect several of my production instances. I also tuned the heck out of them and optimized to the maximum that our physical configuration would allow.

One of our 'canned' applications captures employee clock punches at our manufacturing plants and sends them to an Oracle database where they are processed before going to our HR application. Shortly after the database re-org we started encountering duplicate records in a transaction table (no unique key constraint). The application Vendor spent a bunch of time debugging the problem and it was discovered that the clock punches are captured only down to the second and as a result the processing speed of our system allows duplicate records when multiple punches are captured. Prior to the reorganization this had not been an issue. The Vendor complained that the database was too fast !!! Sometimes you can't win. We declined to 'slow down' the database and suggested that the onus be on them to refine the degree of granularity that the time records are captured.

Much better situation than some of the incredibly interesting disaster stories that have appeared lately.

Chris Royce Received on Tue Jun 13 2000 - 13:25:18 CDT