Re: Synopsis of a database crash and recove

From: <mteehan_at_erggroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:08:36 +0800

Every DBA dreads the unrecoverable database. But half of the job is watching out for these things....

As a side issue, what are opinions of RMAN for 8.1.6? I have just finished testing it on Solaris and I am impressed. I have to come up with a backup strategy for a new system deployment, that includes 9 solaris parallel server clusters, 12 regular solaris servers, and an unknown quantity of NT database servers. Its a 99.99% uptime (only 4 nines , easy!) OLTP system. I dont want to deploy homegrown hot backup scripts, because I will be handing the sites over to client DBA's who may not have enough experience with recoveries to do a manual PIT roll-forward on 100GB of raw partitions. RMAN seems a good option, it allows simple script auto restore, and once set up ok it seems relatively bug free. Has anyone out there tested and rejected RMAN, and why?

Cheers
Mark Teehan
Perth, Australia