RE: Auto Extend

From: Dave Morgan <dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 08:48:56 -0700

Hi All,

	Long long ago, I think, ... not sure which version of Oracle
	but probably version 7.???? on Solaris 2.5

	I ran into a problem with a DB where AUTO EXTEND was on, the file
	grew larger than 2 GB and then the database was brought down.

	Recovery, really bad recovery,  ever since then the standard is do not
	use AUTO EXTEND.

	A datafile should not grow very often anyways so I think it is reasonable
	that it be a manual operation allowing the DBA to determine why it is growing
	and if there is a more appropriate fix. (Moving a table etc.)

	Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta Canada/Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta
Canada/Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta Canada/Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta
Canada/Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta Canada/Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta
Canada/Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta Canada/Santa Clara, California/Calgary, Alberta Canada/
	Its a terrible commute but if the Americans are willing to pay the
	big bucks, I'm willing to take them :)

	3 weeks in Santa Clara, 1 week in Calgary is the deal I cut to keep
	my home lie together. Kids are grown, so that makes it easier.

	Rachel, keep your hands off my junior's, I trained em, I keep em.

Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Database Administrator