Re: Oracle7.3.4. listener and Oracle8.0.4 listener on the same machi ne

From: Chris Royce <Chris_at_Royce.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:15:30 -0400

--------------6100CB019069B1DB8C09EF21

You should be able to 'listen' for your 7.3.4 instance with an 8.0.4 listener.... I am currently doing so on one of my servers --- DEC

(compaq) Alphas running TRU64 However when I included an 8.0.5 instance
it was necessay to employ 2 listeners. Now I am using an 8.1.6 listener
for 8.0.5, 8.1.5 & 8.1.6 and an 8.0.4 istener for 8.0.4, 8.0.3 and 7.3.4
instances.

Cheers

Chris Royce
Snr Oracle DBA
Jamestown, NC

Chuck Hamilton wrote:

> It can be done. The listeners need to be in separate oracle home
> directories, listening on different ports and different IPC keys. Make
> sure if you use a TNS_ADMIN environment variable that it's set
> differently when you start the two listeners so they do indeed use the
> separate listener.ora files.
>
> Out of curiousity, why do you want to run 2 listeners? Normally if I
> have multiple versions of the database software, I use one listener to
> support them all - the more recent one.
>

> "Boivin, Patrice J" wrote:
>

> I have both versions on my workstation, and haven't used the
> Oracle7
> TNSListener service for quite some time because it returns
> an internal error
> when I try to start it up.
>
> When I called Oracle, they informed me it was because both
> listeners try to
> latch on to the same ports (1521, 1526).
>
> Has anyone tried creating two separate listener.ora files on
> one machine,
> one with all 1521 and one with 1526? Any problems?
>
> What about IPC, can both listeners connect to IPC? (I don't
> know much about
> IPC).
>
> Any ramifications in the future, esp. when we move to
> 8.1.6.?
>
> TIA
> Patrice Boivin
> Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)
>
> Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
>
> Technology Services | Services technologiques
> Informatics Branch | Direction de l'informatique
> Maritimes Region, DFO | Région des Maritimes, MPO! !
>
> E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <?xml:namespace prefix =
> mailto />
>
> --
> Author: Boivin, Patrice J
> INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
>
> Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858)
> 538-5051
> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
> Lists
> -----
> You may
> also send the HELP command for other information (like
> subscribing).

> Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!

--------------6100CB019069B1DB8C09EF21

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html>
You should be able to 'listen' for your 7.3.4 instance with an 8.0.4 listener.... I am currently doing so on one of my servers --- DEC (compaq) Alphas running TRU64 However when I included an 8.0.5 instance it was necessay to employ 2 listeners. Now I am using an 8.1.6 listener for 8.0.5, 8.1.5 &amp; 8.1.6 and an 8.0.4 istener for 8.0.4, 8.0.3 and 7.3.4 instances.

separate oracle home directories, listening on different ports and different IPC keys. Make sure if you use a TNS_ADMIN environment variable that it's set differently when you start the two listeners so they do indeed use the separate listener.ora files.
error
about
/><mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>