Re: ORACLE NAME SERVER

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:48:01 -0400

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:03:45 -0800, Pallav Kalva wrote:

> What is Oracle Names Server ???? Is anybody using it ??? if so, could
>you let me know what is it used for. can you direct me to any good
>documentation sites on this.=20

Oracle Names is a central server that does what your local tnsnames.ora files do now. Net8 passes Oracle Names a net service name, and Oracle Names returns the definition for that name. The advantage of Oracle Names is that you define net service names in one location instead of on each client PC. Changes are consequently much easier. I don't know of any good documentation sites. You should read Oracle's Net8 manual, and I believe there are some decent white papers on metalink.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com =20
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Mon Jun 12 2000 - 19:48:01 CDT