RE: SQL*Net/Net8 and plain text passwords

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:37:49 -0700

Oracle encrypts passwords by default. I believe this began wit SQL*NET 2.1. However, if you do not have the parameter, ORA_ENCRYPT_LOGIN, set to ,true, in the sqlnet.ora file of the client, then Oracle under certain circumstances, will send the password is plain text, after trying and failing with the encrypted password. There is also an init.ora parameter, DBLINK_ENCRYPT_LOGIN which controls this behavior on database links.

The password will be sent in plain text between web browsers and your web server unless you have protected the ports via SSL.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu
Author: Sherwin Anthony Sequeira