RE: Autoextend Data files - Corruption???

From: Larry G. Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:25:20 -0500

Deepak,

Others have already pointed out that they have encountered problems, and, in the spirit of the recent Whoops thread, I saw this happen 3 times on a 7.2 or 7.3 DB with multiple db writers and using the RESIZE command to add space. They encountered:

Bug: 311905 is a problem which with multiple database writers and resized data files. The new size is not picked up by all slave DBWR processes which can result in errors if a write is issued to the extended portion of the file.

The whoops part is the DBA staff and operations manager were made aware of the bug multiple times when discussing whether or not they would use the RESIZE command. It didn't matter. On 3 different occasions over a couple of months, the same DBA used the RESIZE command to add space, and, the problem was encountered, rendering the tablespace useless and hosing the app. Considering this happened *3* times, all with prior knowledge of the potential problem, I think this is much more than a simple "whoops" and clearly warrants the title DuhBA ;-)

Later,

Larry G. Elkins
The Elkins Organization Inc.
elkinsl_at_flash.net