Re: Db_block_size

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:13:39 +0100

Eric Fang wrote:

> Thanks, Chris, Rachel and Guy for the answers.
> Actually we don't have production database(anytime),
> so I don't even have the archive log files. My
> question is what's the benefits of increasing the
> db_block_size, what is the limit?

As a rule of thumb, large block size are good for OLAP loads, and small block sizes are good for OLTP. The actual sizing depends on your OS block size. Oracle thinks in terms of blocks when it does I/O. Therefore, if you can get an Oracle block in an integral number of OS blocks, this is good. If you have to read an entire OS block, but Oracle only wants part of that to complete a data block, this is bad.

Cheers,

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire