RE: Autoextend Data files - Pros & Cons

From: Michael Kline <maklinesr_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:47:26 -0400

> Advantages: you don't have to worry that someone will run a
> program that
> will cause a table to extend and it will fail for lack of space
>
> Disadvantages: you don't KNOW that they have extended, so you have to
> monitor it very carefully, because what you REALLY want to know is if the
> tables are extending quickly so that you can size them better

That's why I do trending... I capture growth in tables and indexes, and can even see the tablespaces. This is usually weekly, and anything that grows more than one extent I take a close look at.

But, as I said before, I'd rather grow it. I've seen some that may extend 1-2 times a week simply because they don't extend that much at a time and they have hundreds of objects. I'd rather resize it for 1-6 months and concentrate on the objects and keeping them under control.

I've got one customer whose table is about to take the last extent, but I know that won't happen for 7-8 weeks due to historical patterns. (The table has room for 40,954 records and they grew 5,903 last week) That gives me time to contemplate splitting it over two drives, and maybe even moving the indexes. I've had my eye on this one for almost 2 months now, so I knew almost 4 months before it would have become critical.

Michael Kline
ThinkSpark
Richmond, VA Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 09:47:26 CDT