Unix Oracle questions

From: Linda Hagedorn <Linda_at_pets.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:23:59 -0700

Hello,

I'm looking to understand and know some components and functions of Unix/Oracle which correspond to some of the functions I've seen in OS/390.

Does anyone know what the Unix command/script is which would show panels to see input, running, and ouput jobs, similar to OS/390 SDSF? It can also display the contents of the JCL (Unix:script) which initiated the job, CPU usage, I/O, files in use, etc. If TOP can do this, can you tell me how to identify/show/trace back the script which initiated the job?

Where would I find the Unix console log?

In Oracle, what would the equalivant to:

DB2 address spaces - dsnMSTR (holds most object (Unix:bin) code, the buffer and log pools, does stage 2 sargable index work)

                                 dsnDBM1 (controls and manages i/o to the
dasd (Unix:disk), and does stage 1 sargable (boolean) index work)
                                 dsnDIST   (controls distributed processing)

                                 dsnIRLM  (controls locking)

Also, according to my reading, Oracle offsets are hex. Isn't Unix/Sun an octal machine? If so, does anyone know how an octal machine is using hex offsets?

Any referral to documentation is welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Linda                                       Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 14:23:59 CDT