RMAN - OFFLINE Backup with noarchivelog

From: Dayal, Deen <DDayal_at_dolsun.dol.state.nj.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:43:16 -0400

Hi Gururs,

Can any body give some idea how can I do a offline backup & restore of Noarchivelog mode Database

I have gone thru the oracle8i backup recovery manual, I did not see much about Offline backup with Noarchivelog mode. My question is how do you backup online redo log files using rman?

The steps I followed are

1) shutdown normal
2) connect to rman, startup mount, resync catalog
3) run {

  allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
  parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=searchbu)';
  allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE'
  parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=searchbu)';
  set command id to 'bkrs';
  backup
    full
    tag b_db_full
    format 'bs_%d_t%t_s%s_p%p'
    database
    include current controlfile;
  release channel t1;
  release channel t2;
}

( Though it says full backup, it does not backup online redologs ).

4) open the database, create some tables(Just to test the resore )

5) Shutdown database

6) connect to rman, startup nomount
7)run {
  allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
  parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=searchbu)';
  allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE'
  parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=searchbu)';
  set command id to 'bkrs';
    restore controlfile;
    alter database mount;

    restore database;
    recover database;
  release channel t1;
  release channel t2;

}

8) it fails with the following message.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: recover
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: recover(4)
RMAN-06054: media recovery requesting unknown log: thread 1 scn 39987

RMAN> **end-of-file**

RMAN> exit

Obviously as onlinne redologs are not backedup, it will fail. I can't do media recovery as database is in Noarchivelog mode. Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 18:43:16 CDT