RE Startup on boot

From: Dave Morgan <dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 08:26:59 -0700

Hi all,

        We never start our production Oracle in the boot scripts.

	What happens if the machine crashes and Oracle needs
	recovery?

	What happens if you were taking online backups, the machine
	crashes and Oracle needs recovery?

	If you are running parallel server and both (or more) nodes are brought
	up at the same time (inexperienced sysadmin) you will run into
	contention problems as the instances will fight over who is the master.

	We have automated start scripts and I feel it is part of the job
	to take calls at 3 AM to do starts. Also , the sysadmins I trust have
	been shown how to start oracle. (NOT how to STOP oracle).

	The answer to all of the What happens is you have created trouble for
	your sysadmin, yourself and your clients.

	And I only work 35 hours a week. I am paid for what I know, and to pass
	that knowledge onto others (So I don't have to take calls at 3 AM :)

Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Database Administrator