RE: Partitioning Questions

From: Elliott, Patrick <Patrick.Elliott_at_bestbuy.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:57:02 -0500

The point is not to help the optimizer. The point is to reduce I/O. If you have ten partitions, then queries using the partition key only have to search a tenth of the data. This is true whether you partition the index or the table.

You are incorrect in stating that queries using indexes don't need partitioning. A partition is not a leaf block in a b-tree index. The better analogy would be to say that it is a branch or subset of the branches in the b-tree. I agree that you will not benefit from partitioning if the index you are using is a global index, but if you partition the index and table the same way, then you will benefit from the increased performance.

Multiple disk drives working on retrieving the data is not a performance benefit of partitioning. This is a parallel query feature which can be utilized with or without partitioning.