Re: Datafiles - Free space

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 19:44:05 +0100

"Weerd de E.C. Kirsten" wrote:

> I have a couple of tablespaces with several datafiles. Within these
> tablespaces is quite a bit of free space, but scattered amongst the
> different files, thus unuseable for creating rather large tables. So I
> figured there must be a way to filter out the free space left unused and
> reuse it for an additional datafile or a resize of an existing datafile.
> Easiest would seem resizing the datafiles, freeing what's left of the space
> inside, but within the datafiles the free space is also scattered. I could
> see that in DBA_FREE_SPACE.

What you're trying to do is analogous to defragmenting a disk. The easiest (altho' not necessarily the most elegant) way to do this is to export all your data, re-create your tablespaces, then import it.

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire