Re: Partitioning Questions

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 07:17:39 -0700 (PDT)

In addition to Stewarts comments, read the Data Warehousing Guide that is on the Documentation CD.

Jared

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Terrian, Thomas wrote:

> We are just now beginning to work with partitioned tables and views. I have
> a few nagging questions. One of them is -- What is the true performance
> benefits of partitioning? I am not talking about the maintenance benefits,
> just the query performance benefits.
>
> For example, since our queries will be using the indexes, no reason to
> partition the table right? I guess there would be some benefit on
> partitioning the table so that multiple disk drives could be working to
> retrieve the data. Any other performance benefits (not including the DDL
> benefits)?
>
> And what about the index partitioning that we are going to do. It kind of
> seems like we are doing Oracle's work for them. I mean, we are telling the
> optimizer that this partition has these values, this other partition has
> these other values, etc. Is this not just a leaf block in a b-tree index or
> am I missing something? Why would this help the optimizer?
>
> Ok, you can blast away. I am sure that I am missing something obvious and
> maybe someone can explain it to me. What are the true performance benefits
> of table and index partitioning? (again, not the DDL benefits).
>
> Tom
>
> Tom Terrian
> Oracle DBA
> (937) 221-1647
> Thomas.Terrian_at_standardregister.com

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Tue Jun 06 2000 - 09:17:39 CDT