Re:RE: Equivalent of Access autonumber

From: <George.Brennan_at_warnermusic.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:18:58 GMT

Hmmm,

I appreciate that you can use dbms_utility.get_time but that needs a binary_integer data type. Unless I'm missed something a date/time is only accurate to 1 second - 'hh:mi:ss', and I have missed things before!.

Regardless, this still assumes that Oracle can't insert more than 1 record with the same timestamp. I still can't see a 100 inserts/sec as a max limit for Oracle. Hence IMHO, the suggestion to use a sequence.

regards
George.