Re: Unix level to start Oracle

From: <sean.hull_at_pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:34:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Nancy McCormick wrote:

> Ok, I am going to show my ignorance. What are you talking about when
> you say starting the server in level 2 or level 3?

Nancy:

I know some others posted on this point, but I just want to add a bit.

0 - shutdown
1 - single user mode
2 - usually no networking services
3 - normal runlevel
5 - xwindows (at least on Linux)
6 - reboot

Also, checkout the /etc/inittab file, you'll find a line like this:

id:5:initdefault:

Which specifies the runlevel. That's how it works on RH Linux anyway. It differs depending on distribution, and whether you're SYSV or BSD based. Also, check these man pages:

$ man init
$ man reboot
$ man halt
$ man shutdown