RE: Your frank opinion

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 11:24:43 -0700

How do you live woith just 6 Peoplesoft databases; I know,production, staging, and development for human resources and finacials. What about the vanilla "DMO" databases?
Then there are the databases to support the upgrade. I've got 14 Peopelsoft databases on line today. Then there is the main non-peoplesoft database, databases to support experiments which are split off because of different maintenance schedules, and four other databases related to third party vendor products. I am the only DBA; look after Designer, and Developer, a couple of Oracle Web Servers as well; and provide logical design assistance. So my days are pretty full. I used to work 60 hours a week, but marriage and a daughter changed that. So now I work on average about 40 hours a week. There are plenty of weeks, when I exceed the 40 hours, but
I force my to take the compensation time. What also changed is that I automated whatever I could.

You need to train your Peopelsoft administrator in some Oracle skills, such as cloning databases. If you are both the Oracle DBA and the Peoplesoft Administrator, then someone is taking advantage of you.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: Deepak Sharma