Re:RE: Re[2]: SPEED-UP OPERATION

From: Kristen Cameron <cameronkgd_at_inac.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 18:13:12 -0400

Thanks for the suggestions. It hadn't occurred to me to check the client machines. They are Pentium Pro with 256Mb memory. Network problems have been an issue in the past, and warrant=20 more research. I believe we have completed the change to=20 switches from hubs, but I'll be asking out network administrator a few questions!

I'll be doing some testing with the swap file size, too. I've tried=20 setting the minimum size to 500 Mb, but it didn't stick when I=20 restarted the machine. =20

It may be time to turn this one over to the IT guys.

Thanks!

>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 6/4/2000 >>>

Rachel,

    Thanks for taking the fire out of my reply, but you left the fuel. In = a
case like this it's best to take a whole system approach. Look at the = network
saturation, so you have at least 10MB per second SWITCHED to the desktop? = I
know some places still use concentrators/hubs/bridges all of which make = things
look slow. Second, look at the desktop PC's, are they old 66MHZ machines = or
newer. What is the memory configuration (I recommend nothing less than = 32M of
RAM) How is swap being handled, by the OS or is it hard limited. Letting = 95/NT
handle swap is one bad performance hit. Take that task away from the OS & = hard
set the swap file size to at least three times memory. Next take a look = at what
the end user is running on the machine. You'll get very surprised at = what's out
there. Stock market ticker tapes, odd ball screen savers, and interactive wallpaper just to mention a few all courtesy of the WEB. Then there are = the
necessary, but memory and CPU intensive apps that people run as well like = Excel,
Power Point, Adobe, etc... You may well have overloaded clients. Also = watch
out for the "streaming audio" toys that some people like. They may not = take up
very much memory or CPU, but they'll clobber your network bandwidth.

Author: "Rachel Carmichael" <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date:       6/4/00 8:14 AM

hang on, if the SQL itself runs quickly, but it takes time to switch = forms=20
or finish the inserts... has anyone looked at the network???

Kristen has said that the I/O, etc is running fine when run in isolation. = So=20
the problem may be somewhere else

I am presuming that whenyou tested the SQL, you did it on the server.

Do the same test connecting to SQL*Plus from a client... if there are=20 network problems, you should see a slower response.

That;s a start anyway

--=20
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com=20