Re: RE dblink:

From: <sean.hull_at_pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:55:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Stephane Faroult wrote:

> valid - see OEM. I personally dislike GLOBAL_NAME=TRUE because I see no
> reason why the database link name should be the same as the instance

It guarentees uniqueness of object names accross databases. Let's say you have two databases with global_names = TRUE, and their GLOBAL_NAMEs are GREEN and RED respectively, and an object named BALL in a schema named TOYS. Their completely qualified names would be:

TOYS.BALL_at_GREEN
TOYS.BALL_at_RED However, if you did not set GLOBAL_NAMES=true, then two of the databases could set their GLOBAL_NAME to BLUE. Oracle's replication software would get very confused at this.

> GLOBAL_NAME=TRUE (not always possible - if you are using replication for
> instance) ... If you are interested in the topic of naming dblinks,

Yeah right, sounds like you already know this. :-) Received on Mon Jun 05 2000 - 14:55:04 CDT