RE: Tablespace Backup question

From: <Colin.Shaw_at_phs.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 19:42:57 -0700

sean.hull_at_pobox.com wrote:

>It places the underlying datafiles of the tablespace in a frozen state,
>that is Oracle will not write to these files while in hotbackup mode

Actually, no. Oracle continues to write to the file *exactly* the same when in hot-backup mode, with the exception of the checkpoint SCN. Also, full blocks (not change vectors) are written to the redo log. You can find more details about this at various web sites or in Velpuri's Backup Handbook. Not sure if it's discussed in the Oracle Docs.

Colin.