Re: Work vs marriage

From: Casey Dyke <cdyke_at_homenetwork.com.au>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 14:00:25 +1000

--------------DA0781E624D6205E3D00E5D1

Seconded. Would much rather be surfing than scrounging for overtime. If I could convince my wife to start surfing too, well ... that would solve nearly everything! ;-)

"MacGregor, Ian A." wrote:

> (There's a storm coming when it comes to employment practices. The current
> practice is not to pay overtime to all salaried employees however the
> original intent of the law only applies to officers of the corporation,
> VP's, directors, and the like. Companies have conveniently interpreted the
> law to their benefit but now they're beginning to lose in lawsuits for
> overtime from ordinary salaried folks like us.
> Steve Orr
>
> I don't think most DBA's are directed to work more than 40 hours per week.
> We often due so when experimenting with new features, when after a fairly
> slack time, we are inundated with requests for our services, and on those
> rare occasions we need to fix problems that we, ourselves, have created.
>
> In return for these hours DBA's need to be able to take compensation time
> whenever they want. So if things are humming along splendidly on a
> Wednesday morning, and you have accrued the hours, and the fish biting, or
> the surf's up, you want to walk along the bay, the ocean or through some
> woods, or you want to play with your children, or spend time with your
> spouse; then leave the office, tell your manager, or at least a co-worker
> where you plan to be, and get otta-there!
>
> You'll be better able to handle the next crisis. Getting outta-there can
> help when bedeviled by a particularly perplexing problem. How many of us
> have concentrated for hours on such a problem to no avail, and then while
> engaged in a completely unrelated activity, the answer wells up from out of
> nowhere. An answer so blatantly obvious, so aesthetically pleasing, you
> wonder how you could have possibly overlooked it. Unfortunately there is no
> control over when this upwelling occurs, it may happen as soon as you are
> away from work, or
> it may stir you from your sleep that night.
>
> If you abuse these privileges, then you should be dismissed.
>
> I fear the push for overtime pay will negatively affect our abilities to use
> compensation time. Hours will have to meticulously recorded, A relationship
> based on trust will become a closely monitored one.
>
> If you have a manager who directs you to work overtime, then you should
> be compensated for it.
>
> Ian MacGregor
> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
> ian_at_slac.stanford.edu
> --
> Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
> INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

--------------DA0781E624D6205E3D00E5D1

 filename="cdyke.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Dyke;Casey

tel;pager:(022) 9436 9290
tel;home:61 2 9948 1487
tel;work:61 2 9005 1021

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.realsurf.com
org:At Home Network Australia;IT-Ops
adr:;;100 Harris Street;Pyrmont;NSW;2042;Australia
version:2.1
email;internet:cdyke_at_homenetwork.com.au
title:Senior DBA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-25944 Received on Sun Jun 04 2000 - 23:00:25 CDT