Re:RE: Work vs marriage

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 09:29:15 -0400

Steve,

    Naw. It's Sunday morning & look where I'm at!!!!

    Thankfully it's the first weekend in the last 6 months.

Subject: RE: Work vs marriage
Author: "Steve Orr" <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: 6/2/00 12:30 PM

While interviewing at
"just-another-hot-Silicon-Valley-dot.com-pre-IPO-startup" one of my greatest fears was entering a
"gen-X-culture-of-geek-dweebs-with-no-life" determined to work long hours and get rich quick and drive custom Beemers and Porches like their friends.

Eventually I got into a very intense time with lots of stuff to do in a short period of time. My understanding was that it was only temporary so I had a "family conference." (My wife and I have spawned 3 munchkins who are now 6-10 years old so we "time-challenged".) The conference went like, "Now Daddy's going to be very busy at work the next couple of weeks but it's only temporary. In the mean time we need you kids to be extra helpful by blah, blah, blah... And then afterwards, when life gets back to normal then we'll do something special like blah, blah, blah..." The kids really appreciated being in the family conference and responded wonderfully. Eventually things did get back to normal and we were none worse for the wear. I had intended to quit the job if things did not get back to normal. There's no need to accept overly long hours as the status quo.

There's a difference between temporarily putting in extra time to complete a crucial task and working long hours as a habit or way of life. One of the local news programs had a piece about how the dot.com's are sometimes taking advantage of people. They encourage long hours, because we're all on "Internet time," while holding out the elusive promise of stock option riches after "we go public."

(There's a storm coming when it comes to employment practices. The current practice is not to pay overtime to all salaried employees however the original intent of the law only applies to officers of the corporation, VP's, directors, and the like. Companies have conveniently interpreted the law to their benefit but now they're beginning to lose in lawsuits for overtime from ordinary salaried folks like us.)

Just a few observations...

Would someone please tell me it's Friday? Please?!! Steve Orr

Author: Eric Lansu
  INET: eric.lansu_at_quicknet.nl

Author: Walt Weaver
  INET: wweaver_at_rightnowtech.com