Re[2]: Confessions of An Oracle Expert -- What a Fortnight

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 17:53:11 -0400

Joe,

    We had a somewhat similar mess with EMC. They had installed some additional drives & were installing the BIN file mods. Seems that what was in the array & what they thought was there were NOT the same. Took almost half an hour before things started happening, but one by one the file systems started disappearing. Three database instances crashed, and three manufacturing lines went down with them. Thankfully the EMC folks were still here & could assist us in correcting the mess. Took the rest of the day, but we got there. We're still talking with EMC on who's paying for the lost production time.

Subject: Re: Confessions of An Oracle Expert -- What a Fortnight Author: "Joseph S. Testa" <teci_at_oracle-dba.com> Date: 6/2/00 5:47 PM

Good story, mine is somewhat the same,

EMC disk array, sysadmin mapped, system01.dbf and swap to same partition(i've yet to figure out how they did it but its was not of my concern), so for a long time all was well, then data block corruption errors when we were hitting the machine hard.

SA figured it out, apologized and rebuilt both, restored system01.dbf from backup, did restore(we were in archivelog mode) and all was well.

Oh and this was supposed to be a production system :)

I feel for you.

Joe

--
Joe Testa  http://www.oracle-dba.com