Re: reverse engineer a database

From: Darrin Nunn <dnun_at_earthling.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 00:15:07 +1000

Err,

This is just a suggestion - but you might also want to check out Quest's SQL Impact. It is an Impact analysis tool and an excellent one

One of it's many features is - it also extracts relationships out of code - and so gives you all the business relationships in the code too. IT only works with some languages (i.e. not compiled c or cobol - it requires the source) - but if your working with a database with no FK's - and Lots of them exist then you have to get your relationships from somewhere.

It'll even diagram the relationships for you.

SQL Impact is expensive but I highly recommend it - check it out..

Darrin.

Red de la Cruz wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Reverse engineering is two folds in Oracle Designer,
> First you need to Capture Design of Forms,Reports and library and Server
> objects(tables, function, procedures and packages) into designer. By doing
> this you will have the logical design of your application(logical tables,
> prc, fnc, etc.). Then you can basically run the table to Entity retrofit, to
> have the analysis portion of your application. BUT note, since you capture
> design the tables your relationship names will be the FK names, so might
> need to change this. AND when you capture desing Forms or reports it's not a
> 100% the same, it looses some of the lookups, you just need recreate those
> in terms of your data view(in designer).
>
> BUT if you don't have the budget for Designer, I'm currently using TOAD and
> it's a very good tool if you need to view what's in your DB, If your
> requirement is just to create scripts then go for this tool. There is a
> trial version from their website(this is a product of QUEST software).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Red de la Cruz
> Senior Consultant
> James Martin + Co.

# Darrin Nunn - Senior DBA/AP - Queensland, Australia         #