Re: Re[2]: SPEED-UP OPERATION

From: Kristen Cameron <cameronkgd_at_inac.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:34:11 -0400

I'm trying to speed up an application built using Forms 4.5. I have = extracted
all the SQL executed by the application (30+ statements) and am checking them, but see no problems thus far. I have already checked the usual = suspects
(hit ratios, swapping and paging, etc.) and have discovered that the database itself runs beautifully!

Is it possible that the coding within the Form itself causes it to run = slowly?
I don't mean the SQL code, but the code that Forms uses. There are=20 triggers etc. built into the forms that do not access the database.

Any comments or suggestions?

>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 6/2/2000 >>>
Database/application tuning is a 80/20 proposal. You'll only get a 20% = bang for
the buck out of the database, while there is a 80% bang by tuning the application namely the SQL being executed. Therefore is your management & = end
users expect things to run way better by tuning the database, their in for = one
heck of a shock and you for one heck of a headache. A well tuned database cannot make up for a badly written application, PERIOD.

Brush off your resume, you'll need it.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Vicor Corporation

Author: Andreas Jung <ajung_at_sz-sb.de>
Date:       6/2/00 3:28 AM

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 01:09:11AM -0800, drichard_at_mtlindia.com wrote:

>=20

> Dear Experts
>=20

> I have been asked by the Management and Database Users to speed up the
> application. For that I would like to know what are all the definitions =
in
the
> back-end
> can be modified to increase the Speed of all queries.
>=20

> We are using Oracle7 Workgroup Server Release 7.3.2.2.1 on
> Windows NT4 Box.
>=20

> Please give me few effective hints on what I have to study and implement
> on the Database ?

Take a look at the tuning and performance section of your documentation. Oracle has hundreds of screws that are reponsible for performance.

Maybe you should run the Orasnap utility (http://www.stewartmc.com/oracle/orasnap). This gives you a very close = overview
to all parts of your
database.

Andreas

--=20
Author: Andreas Jung
  INET: ajung_at_sz-sb.de=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). --=20
Author:=20
  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com=20
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Fri Jun 02 2000 - 10:34:11 CDT