Re: Datablock corruption

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 20:36:12 -0700 (PDT)

Djordje,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. If accessing the same block inconsistently gives a data block corruption error this screams hardware or OS problems.

You didn't list the error, but I'm assuming it's an ORA-1578 "data block corrupted". This indicates that either the info in the header of the block isn't the right format or it doesn't match the checksum info in the footer of the block. From the symptoms you're describing, the block isn't corrupt on disk, but is somehow getting corrupted while being read into memory.

> and that oracle have
> problem with reading cached
> blocks that are being inserted/updated at the same
> time as retrieved.

No offense, but if this were the case it would render Oracle virtually unusable.

Again, I'm very skeptical that this is an Oracle bug. I would check out everything on this server, not just the EMC disks. If you can, try moving this db to another server. If it's truly a bug you should continue getting the corruption errors.

HTH,