System Response Time Breakdown

From: ed bittel <ebittel_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:48:31 -0700 (PDT)

I've been reviewing the sample Performance Audit report on Steve Adam's web site
(http://www.ixora.com.au/services/dmop.doc) and trying to determine the source for the various statistics presented in the report. In the report, Steve presents a breakdown of a system's response time by I/O, CPU, Waits, and Latency. At first glance this seemed straight forward enough, but after a few trys I became a little confused. I assume there is a straight forward way of doing this and I'm just getting hung up on the terminology.

Would someone please explain how to correctly calculate Disk I/O and CPU Time as a percentage of a system's overall response time.

Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/ Received on Thu Jun 01 2000 - 13:48:31 CDT