Re: C / external procedure puzzle for the C guru's

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:19:51 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, it's possible to use that.

However, even though much faster than PL/SQL implementations of encryption, the overhead is still significant.

Test show updates to take about 30 times longer with DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT than without encryption.

RC4 is a much faster algorithm than DES.

Regardless, the problem here is not just encryption, but how to pass binary data back to Oracle from an external procedure.

Thanks

Jared

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Vladimir Begun wrote:

> On May 30, 2000 at 01:10:14PM, Jared Still wrote:
> >

> > First off let me say 'I am not a C programmer'.
> >
> > That disclaimer will hopefully insulate me from any
> > flames for doing something stupid in C.
> >
> > I'm trying to build an encryption routine for use
> > in Oracle, via external procedure calls.
> >
> > After digging through MetaLink for couple of hours I
> > was able to get tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora and listener.ora
> > to work properly for the external callouts.
> >
> > I dug up some RC4 encryption code in C from the web, and
> > modified it for use in shared library.
>
> Just a question, is it not possible to use dbms_crypto_toolkit Is
> there any license restrictions? I know that it's not an answer/suggestion
> on your question but anyway. Is anybody in the list who is using
> that package.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Vladimir Begun
> --
> Author: Vladimir Begun
> INET: jester_at_sunbay.com

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 10:19:51 CDT