RE: IN operator

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra <rajendra.jamadagni_at_espn.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:42:12 -0400

Karthikeyan,

IN operator is useful when values range in ten or (max) twenty individual items. For anything larger than that, I'd suggest to use a temp table and use a sub-query rather than hard coded values. BTW this is *my* opinion, everyone is entitled to their own magic number.

OTOH if you *really can't live* without writing one large IN clause with 10000 values, at-least split the IN clause in multiple IN clauses of maybe 100 parameters, and combine then using OR.

As for a suggestion, don't put 1000 parameters on one IN clause, use a temp table. Received on Wed May 31 2000 - 08:42:12 CDT