Re[2]: !! TGIF !! RE: Pls let it die - RE: Oracle DBA openin

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:28:15 -0400

Tony,

    Many a year ago I too came home to a similar situation, after 48 hours on the flight line, coaxing a number of KC-135's & an SR-71 into the air. After getting some sleep, listening to the wife complain about "how much of a work-aholic" I was & reading a book to my three daughters before they went to bed, I found what I was missing. Since then, work is whatever time I spend at work or if I wake up early in the morning (of my own volition, not the alarm clock). And I take my wife out at least once a week. Marriage has never been better. This weekend we collectively spend the entire three days out on the yard getting her flowers all planted, trimmed, etc... Boy does my back ache!!

    In short and in my opinion, If you aren't spending at least as much time working on your marriage as you spend at work, you really can't complain at the results!! That goes for ALL of us, guys & gals.

Dick Goulet, MSgt, USAF (retired)
Senior Oracle DBA
Vicor Corporation

Subject: Re: !! TGIF !! RE: Pls let it die - RE: Oracle DBA opening i Author: Sherwin Anthony Sequeira <sherwin_at_sequeira.ezesurf.co.uk> Date: 5/26/00 8:04 PM

> i hear u both, i'm supposed to leave at 3P on friday, at 2:50P, developer
> emails me about out of space on a PK index(partitioned), so i think no
> biggie, i dont have DBA privs(its a production db and i dont do production),
> so i start digging and realize its a range partitioned index and the ranges
> are WAY OFF. so i spend this evening, figuring out the correct ranges and
> rebuild the index.
>
> bahhhhh
>

> joe

Joe,

        Please accept my commiserations. Users, don't you love them?

        I spent this evening driving 3 hours (70 miles) through pelting rain and Bank holiday traffic, coming home to a loving daughter and a not so loving wife.

        I spent the day demonstrating Oracle's point in time recovery to a customer. Unfortunately the redo logs were screwed, with no backups! So much for the demo.

        But, I spent the evening playing snooker and drinking Honey Dew. Now catching up with the list.

        I bet you still enjoy it though eh!

        Regards.

Tony

--