Re:Off-topic : A request!

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 11:40:48 -0400

John,

    I like you do appreciate the jokes (above board for mixed company types) and I was a little saddened by Jared's ban on them, although I could understand why.  What has been a upsetting is some of the 'personal' attacks that have been happening. Sure we harass Rachel about being the "goddess", but that is in good fun (I believe). Then there are the "RTFM" replies that sometimes aren't really deserved, especially with some of the added adjectives. Let us all remember that we each asked some pretty dumb questions once in our lifetimes. Also, we should remember that opinions are sacred to the owner of that opinion. If you don't like someone else's opinion, say so, but don't do so in an aggressive/confrontational manner. E-mail is a very bad medium for having opinion based disagreements since we can't see each other's faces. We have the internal flame war (or EWAR as we prefer to call them), but then we have the option of getting the participants into one room to settle the matter. On the List no such option exists, so we need to be a little more careful with the send button.

My father (God rest his soul) had a good piece of advice on this, "engage brain before putting mouth in gear". Or better put, "engage brain before hitting send button". Has saved me many an embarrassing situation.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Vicor Corporation

Subject: Off-topic : A request!
Author: john.j.kanagaraj_at_shell.com.bn
Date: 5/28/00 7:04 PM

Hi all,

Can I request all list members to refrain from posting any jokes or off-topic info that has
religious, racial or sexist connotations or is personally insulting to a particular individual or group of individuals? I enjoy a joke as much as the next person but when it hurts someone else inadvertly, it no longer is a joke. All of us are in this list to assist one another and learn from everyone else.

(Sorry Jared - too much flame throwing of late in the list!)

Thanks for your attention and continued participation! Received on Tue May 30 2000 - 10:40:48 CDT