RE: How to change the value of MAXDATAFILES of a running instance

From: Guidry, Chris <chris.guidry_at_atcoelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:27:38 -0600

Hi,
I think people are confusing two parameters, MAXDATAFILES parameter during database creation and the INIT.ORA parameter DB_FILES. MAXDATAFILES is the upper limit you set in your database creation script. You must recreate the controlfile in order to increase this limit. DB_FILES can be anything up to and including MAXDATAFILES and it will take effect after bouncing the instance. The larger MAXDATAFILES is the larger your control file becomes and the more memory it takes. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

-
Chris J. Guidry P.Eng.
ATCO Electric, Metering Services
Phone: (780) 420-4142